I Capture the Castle


Summary (from the publisher): I Capture the Castle tells the story of seventeen-year-old Cassandra and her family, who live in not-so-genteel poverty in a ramshackle old English castle. Here she strives, over six turbulent months, to hone her writing skills. She fills three notebooks with sharply funny yet poignant entries. Her journals candidly chronicle the great changes that take place within the castle's walls, and her own first descent into love. By the time she pens her final entry, she has "captured the castle"--and the heart of the reader--in one of literature's most enchanting entertainments.


Review: This novel has been on my to read list for ages but I couldn't quite seem to track down a copy. I finally broke down and bought it (a rare event for me) and am happy to say that it lived up to my expectations. A glorious bildungsroman novel with a charming narrator, Cassandra Mortmain, who lives in a crumbling, ancient castle with the rest of her broke family. The novel is structured as journal entries by Cassandra, who details her life as a 17 year old girl trying to find her path in life and discovering love for the first time. I love the characters of this novel from her father, the famous writer suffering from writer's block, her beautiful but money grabbing sister, and the beautiful Stephen, who is hopelessly in love with Cassandra. 

I loved this novel mostly because I felt such a personal connection with Cassandra. Cassandra is constantly musing on life, love, and her future. As a fellow young woman, I sympathized entirely. Cassandra's story tells about her life while its in limbo, in between large life events, and that's how I feel about my life at this stage. Plus, she was just so delightful. Cassandra is so wonderfully idealistic and compassionate. 

Additionally, I don't know that I've read any other novel that has such conscious metawriting. Cassandra is constantly discussing the inadequacy of words, the time it takes her to write different passages, discussing her father's writing (or lack of writing), and musing on the value of her journal entries. I didn't anticipate that in the book but did enjoy it, especially since it seemed in keeping with Cassandra's analyzation of all aspects of her life and questioning of her future. 

My only tiny complaint was that the novel romanticized poverty just a tad too much. But, then again, the Mortmains live in a castle! And Smith was certainly honest in creating imperfect characters who make plenty of mistakes and embarrass themselves frequently. A beatiful story with lovely people and places. I have no doubts that Cassandra finds love and success after the conclusion of her tale. 

One further note - this is also one of my favorite movies and after belatedly reading the novel, I do believe they did it justice. Rose is less ornery and more likable in the novel and much of the metawriting is lost, but the beautiful scenery and superb casting (especially the beautiful Henry Cavill as Stephen!) certainly make up for it.

Stars: 5

Comments

Popular Posts