What I Wore: Four Seasons, One Closet, Endless Recipes for Personal Style

Summary (from the publisher):  A COOKBOOK FOR YOUR CLOSET.

Personal style expert Jessica Quirk approaches getting dressed just as you would plan the perfect meal: With a smartly stocked pantry and a few gorgeous “spotlight ingredients,” inspiration comes easily.

In What I Wore, named after her enormously popular blog, Jessica shares recipes for creating a stellar wardrobe to get you through spring, summer, fall, and winter. From delicates (bras, slips, lingerie) to the basics every woman should have (black pants, white shirts, knee-high leather boots) to the dramatic touches that set just the right tone (scarves, jewelry, handbags), she shows you how to take your look from ordinary to outstanding without breaking the bank. Inside you’ll discover how to

• remix the clothing you already have for dozens of fresh, pulled-together looks
• become a smarter shopper and always get the most bang for your buck
• create wow-worthy ensembles for special occasions, weekends, and the office
• supplement basics and investment pieces with fun and inexpensive accessories

Plus you’ll learn tailoring tricks, handy hints, and packing tips to ensure that you always leave the house looking your best. Loaded with hundreds of vibrant, original illustrations and unique suggestions for combining colors, patterns, and textures, What I Wore will help you feel stylish and confident, each and every day.


Review: Jessica Quirk's blog What I Wore was the first style blog I ever started following, and is one of the inspirations behind my own style blog (twolittlebells.tumblr.com). (In fact, two of the most thrilling moments of my life have been when my co-blogger and I made it on her blog as part of her winter remix and stripes challenge for other style bloggers!) I love Jessica's down to earth style and more importantly, her concept of individual clothing pieces as parts of a style recipe. Jessica has some great ideas on how to switch up your outfits so that anyone can make themselves feel like they have tons of clothes if they just have a few basic pieces they switch up.

I honestly think TLC should give this book as a gift to everyone shown on What Not to Wear, and every other woman who struggles with her style or what to purchase. This book outlines what every woman should have in their closet and uses the analogy of getting dressed as putting together your own recipe of style each day. If you challenge yourself to wear a skirt a little differently each time you wear it, you not only look fresh, but look as if you have a huge wardrobe even when you don't.

I read this book over the weekend, and when I got to her advice on how to know when its time to purge things from your closet, I was inspired to clean out my closet. And she's right, if you didn't feel good the last time you wore it or can't even remember the last time you wore - get rid of it! I ended up cleaning out two whole boxes of clothes thanks to this book. I hope that I can become more targeted and focused when I shop by using her tips on color coordinating and never purchasing anything that won't go with at least a few other existing pieces in your closet. I was also really personally excited to see her advocating wearing slips. I love slips - they eliminate clinging to the butt/wedgies/panty lines etc. Not enough women wear them. Wear slips, everyone! Jessica Quirk says so!

I liked that this book has drawn images of faceless women so that every reader can imagine themselves in the clothing, however, I missed seeing the great photos that are on the What I Wore blog every day! I would definitely have enjoyed more real pictures. Additionally, the book just covers the basics. If you're already pretty advanced or looking for advanced style help you may need something more advanced. Maybe J. Quirk can write a more advanced style guide next??

A really quick read that any woman trying to look professional and yet still stylish while on a budget can appreciate.

Stars: 4

Comments

Popular Posts