Bared to You


Summary (from the publisher): Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...

Review: This book (and Gideon) was hot. And I did enjoy it. However, I'm beginning to grow tired of the now frequently repeated 50 Shades-esque  plot that is cropping up everywhere. Again in this novel you have two people with troubled/abusive pasts, a wealthy, devastatingly handsome man who is also clingy and posessive, borderline BDSM action (and just lots of action period), constant drama/need for affirmation that they do indeed love each other, static stock friend characters, less than exemplary parent figures/broken homes, and problematic exes. Despite how much I enjoyed this novel, I can't see how it sets itself apart.

Both Eva and Gideon were victims of sexual abuse, and in trying to work out their issues, have a less than perfect relationship and I did appreciate the rocky path that doesn't paint their relationship as perfect. I did find the character Cary, Eva's bisexual roommate, intriguing, and I expect we'll see more of him in book two. They only ever alluded to what his problematic past was like, and he clearly has issues and seems unable to have a normal, healthy relationship. Plus he's hot and an up and coming model in NYC. Maybe Day should do a spin-off series on him? I think Day has also set us up to see more of Gideon's devilish half-brother Christopher, as well the two women who seem in love with Gideon, Corinne and Magdalene. It doesn't really seem fair that Eva has to put up with all of that but Gideon has no old lovers of Eva's cropping up to bite him in the butt.

An enjoyable read that clearly falls into the low brow, entertainment only category. Not that I'm complaining.

Stars: 3

Comments

Popular Posts