Brain Matters: Translating Research into Classroom Practice

Summary (from the publisher): An expanded and updated ASCD best-seller where renowned educator and consultant Patricia Wolfe introduces you to the anatomy and physiology of the brain and explains teaching strategies that match how the brain learns best through projects, simulations, visuals, music, writing, and mnemonics. Plus, an all-new section explores brain development from birth through adolescence; the role of exercise, sleep, nutrition, and technology on the brain; and the importance of neuroplasticity.

Review: I read this book as part of my master's program class on contemporary learning theory. However, I hesitated reviewing this because I did not read it in its entirety. In fact, I only was required to read five of its 14 chapters, so just a disclaimer that my review is not based on the full text.  

This book looks at how knowledge about brain structure and function can be used by educators to improve their classroom techniques. The chapters I read dealt with brain development from birth through adolescence and sensory input to information storage. I found that the brain development sections would be most applicable to K-12 teachers, and as I am interested in higher education, it was less helpful. However, it did give a great overview of the different stages of development, which was interesting to me from a personal standpoint, especially since I frequently babysit and have worked with many young children in the past. 

The discussion of memory and its limitations were of the most benefit to me. I think teachers can certainly use this information to develop better strategies to help their students learn, but also to understand what is reasonable and not to require of their students in terms of retention and recall. The chapters on memory cover several concepts including the 18-second holding pattern, the cocktail party effect, the magical number seven, and chunking that I found important and interesting regarding the way human memory works.   

Review: 3

Comments

Popular Posts