The Housemaid by Freida McFadden

 

Summary (from the publisher): “Welcome to the family,” Nina Winchester says as I shake her elegant, manicured hand. I smile politely, gazing around the marble hallway. Working here is my last chance to start fresh. I can pretend to be whoever I like. But I’ll soon learn that the Winchesters’ secrets are far more dangerous than my own…

Every day I clean the Winchesters’ beautiful house top to bottom. I collect their daughter from school. And I cook a delicious meal for the whole family before heading up to eat alone in my tiny room on the top floor.

I try to ignore how Nina makes a mess just to watch me clean it up. How she tells strange lies about her own daughter. And how her husband Andrew seems more broken every day. But as I look into Andrew’s handsome brown eyes, so full of pain, it’s hard not to imagine what it would be like to live Nina’s life. The walk-in closet, the fancy car, the perfect husband.

I only try on one of Nina’s pristine white dresses once. Just to see what it’s like. But she soon finds out… and by the time I realize my attic bedroom door only locks from the outside, it’s far too late.

But I reassure myself: the Winchesters don’t know who I really am.

They don’t know what I’m capable of…

An unbelievably twisty read that will have you glued to the pages late into the night. Anyone who loves The Woman in the Window, The Wife Between Us and The Girl on the Train won’t be able to put this down!

Review: Millie is down on her luck and living out of her car when she is lucky enough to be hired as a live-in housekeeper for the Winchester family. Although the job seems like a godsend, Nina Winchester is a difficult boss, who makes up strange lies and treats Millie cruelly. It's difficult for Millie to understand why Andrew would even want to be married to Nina. But from her attic bedroom, Millie slowly starts to realize that the Winchesters' secrets may be much darker than her own. 

This was a page turner!! Millie is obviously mysterious throughout, and the whole time I was waiting to find out what the dark secret behind her criminal background was. Nina comes across as unstable and possibly bipolar and most of the novel, I was definitely sympathetic to Millie and Andrew, which is exactly what McFadden is hoping you'll feel. 

But the great reveal and conclusion of this was wholly unexpected and possibly darker than I could have anticipated. And also, pretty fully unbelievable. No spoilers, but I did not think it was plausible that anyone could have pulled off what they did without an investigation and prison time. The set up for the next novel of this series also felt like a real eye rolling moment - as if getting away with it once wasn't enough, the character is going to make a career out of it. In sum, I enjoyed this book up until the final chapters and the great reveal, which is where it pretty much lost me. This was quite a wild ride all around. 

Stars: 3

Comments

Popular Posts