Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before #3) by Jenny Han

 

Summary (from the publisher): Lara Jean is having the best senior year.

And there’s still so much to look forward to: a class trip to New York City, prom with her boyfriend Peter, Beach Week after graduation, and her dad’s wedding to Ms. Rothschild. Then she’ll be off to college with Peter, at a school close enough for her to come home and bake chocolate chip cookies on the weekends.

Life couldn’t be more perfect!

At least, that’s what Lara Jean thinks . . . until she gets some unexpected news.

Now the girl who dreads change must rethink all her plans—but when your heart and your head are saying two different things, which one should you listen to?

Review: In the third and final installment in this trilogy, Lara Jean is now a senior and having the best year! She is looking forward to so many milestones: a senior class trip to New York City, prom with her boyfriend Peter, Beach Week after graduation, and helping plan her dad's wedding to Ms. Rothschild. Then she plans to be off to UVA with Peter next year, which is close enough that she can still come home and visit her dad and little sister Kitty on the weekends. Life is great! Until her plans for next year are unexpectedly dashed. Now, Lara Jean is forced to rethink her plans, which also impact her future with Peter. 

I loved this book!! I was very overwhelmed by book two and almost didn't read this final book. But I am so glad I decided to give it a go. This was such a great book that really focuses on the worries and stresses of so many teenagers. Making a decision about where to go to college and having to pick your next best option when you don't get in to your dream school is so relatable. Also, the pull between family, relationships, and your own hopes and dreams felt very realistic and true to life. I would love for my kids to read this series when they get a little older. 

A huge part of my enjoyment was the setting. Lara Jean lives in Charlottesville, Virginia and hopes to go to University of Virginia. I loved the descriptions of the campus and Charlottesville sites like Bodo's Bagels. Lara Jean is also very interested in the College of William & Mary, and it was absolutely delightful hearing her talk about colonial Williamsburg and the cheese shop (fun fact: my husband worked there in college when he went to William & Mary!). Finally, she spends some time visiting the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and parks right on Franklin Street, in the heart of campus. I have spent time on all three campuses and was just delighted to hear them talked about so lovingly in this book. Just truly delighted me.  

Lara Jean was also one of the true joys of this series. She is such an endearing character that reminds me a lot of me as a teenager. She is so earnest, kind, and loving. She is the type of girl that deserves the best boyfriend in high school, but often doesn't get him in real life. I will say it didn't feel like that much chemistry between her and Peter. I just never really got the sense they were really that into each other. 

Such a great young adult series. I am so happy I read this final book. I listened to the audio version, and it was very well done and was a great listen. 

Stars: 4

Related Titles: 

Comments

Popular Posts