Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J. Maas

 

Summary (from the publisher): Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak-but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth . . . a truth about her heritage that could change her life-and her future-forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. Will Celaena find the strength to not only fight her inner demons, but to take on the evil that is about to be unleashed?

Review: Celaena has survived multiple calamaties and deadly contests. But now, she has been forced to travel to a new land and confront her past and what that could mean for her future. Meanwhile, back in Adarlan, the heir Prince Dorian is finally moving on from Calaena and falling for a new lady and distancing himself from Chaol in the process. And readers meet new characters, Calaena's cousin and childhood best friend Aedion, heir to the coven of witches Manon, and fae prince and Calaena's partner Rowan. 

After a slow start to this series for me, I enjoyed this installment much more! The rotating points of view added interest and kept the reader invested in different parts of the plot. I enjoyed Dorian's emerging love interest, as well as the budding relationship between Calaena and Rowan. Rowan was by far my favorite new character. He was brooding and loyal and quite a match for Calaena. 

I still have not enjoyed this series as much as Maas's other two series. I do think that in part has to do with the audiobook narrator for this series, which has just not been a good fit for me, personally and hindered my enjoyment. I plan on switching to a print version for book four to see if that makes a difference. I also was less invested in Manon's perspective and found myself losing interest during those chapters. Like all of her books, this was long, with lots of world building, many characters, and lots of different plot threads so it is just a lot to keep up with. It is definitely a better option for people who prefer less explicit content, although I also am not sure I would rank this as young adult, because it does include a lot of violence, including some shocking and gruesome death scenes. 

Stars: 4

Related Titles: 


Comments

Popular Posts