The Names by Florence Knapp
In the wake of a catastrophic storm, Cora sets off with her nine-year-old daughter, Maia, to register her son's birth. Her husband, Gordon, a local doctor, respected in the community but a terrifying and controlling presence at home, intends for her to name the infant after him. But when the registrar asks what she'd like to call the child, Cora hesitates...
Spanning thirty-five years, what follows are three alternate and alternating versions of Cora's and her young son's lives, shaped by her choice of name. In richly layered prose, The Names explores the painful ripple effects of domestic abuse, the messy ties of family, and the possibilities of autonomy and healing.
With exceptional sensitivity and depth, Knapp draws us into the story of one family, told through a prism of what-ifs, causing us to consider the "one . . . precious life" we are given. The book’s brilliantly imaginative structure, propulsive storytelling, and emotional, gut-wrenching power are certain to make The Names a modern classic.
Review: This book has such a unique premise in contemplating how one change, in this case the name given to a baby, can alter the course of a life. In 1987, Cora is living in an abusive relationship with her physician husband Gordon. After giving birth to a little boy, she sets off with her nine-year-old daughter Maia to register her son's name. In three alternate narratives, the book explores what would happen if 1) the baby was named Gordon after his father, 2) if his sister Maia were allowed to choose his name and selected Bear, or 3) if Cora were allowed her choice of name and went with Julian.
I have always been fascinated by names - the choices parents make, the meaning behind them, trends within naming, and the impact they may make on who we become. While this book may seem far-fetched, studies do show that names have an impact on others' impression of us, career choice, and other long-term influences. However, I think regarding this book, it is a bit misleading to say the name alone causes these three alternate versions of reality. In this story, I think it is more the intent behind the choice, which represents Cora's decision to defy her husband or not when it comes to naming their son. The ripple effects of this choice are long-lasting as you see as this novel jump in time to show the three different versions of life after this one action.
This was a hard read in many ways. In every narrative, the father is abusive and you can see the lasting impacts of this reality on his wife and children and beyond. My heart really ached for Cora. Overall, this was a stunning and intriguing debut that made me think and also moved me.
I listened to this on audio and while the narration was lovely, I wish I had eyeball read it instead. I found it hard to keep the three different narratives separate and I also think a lot of the lovely prose went over my head on audio.
I was tempted to give this book a full four stars, but it was relatively depressing and not overly enjoyable on audio so I'm giving it 3.5 stars rounded up for Goodreads.
Stars: 3.5
Comments
Post a Comment