In Her Own League by Liz Tomforde
Especially one that comes in the form of the team’s tempting field manager who questions her every decision.
Emmett Montgomery is a former All-Star turned coach who treats his players like family and the field like home. After years of running the team his way, the last thing he wants is a new boss, let alone one who seems ice-cold and laser-focused on business. But forced to spend long hours—and too many away games—side by side, he begins to see the fire beneath Reese’s control, the heart behind her ambition, and the unwavering determination to prove herself.
When heated banter turns into sizzling chemistry, professional boundaries blur and the spark between them becomes impossible to resist. But Reese is constantly reminded of how many people are waiting for her to fail, and the safest move is to keep Emmett at arm’s length—for the sake of the team, the season, and her career.
But keeping their distance is one game neither of them can seem to win.
Review: Reese Remington has just inherited a Major League Baseball team from her grandfather, making her the first female team owner in MLB. While she knows it will be difficult for her to be taken seriously in the male-dominated field, she has spent years preparing for the role. She's frustrated by the team's field manager who questions her every decision. Emmett Montgomery is a former player turned coach who is beloved by the team and a respected guy who raised his daughter as a single dad. While the two butt heads, spending so much time together at work starts to allow professional boundaries to blur.
The central tension in this book is this is a forbidden workplace romance. These two very quickly have undeniable tension and attraction to one another as they begin to see each other for who they really are. While it is a bit unethical that they get together while she is technically his supervisor, it didn't bother me even one little bit. Listen, the heart wants what it wants, and they can't help that they fall for each other after meeting at work. Also, the two very much acknowledge that they should resist the other, they know it is wrong and ultimately do not commit to a relationship while he is technically working for her and I can respect that. Without this barrier to their relationship, there would be no story.
I really loved that this is a mature couple. Reese is divorced and Emmett is in his mid-forties and has spent the last twenty years raising his daughter. The two know who they are and what they want out of life and I also really loved that they had a mutual love for the team and the sport. This was veryyyy spicy and honestly I was here for it.
This is a spin off novel from the Windy City series by Liz Tomforde. While it isn't necessary to have read that series (I have only read 3 of the 5!) it is fun to read those first since lots of the characters from the series appear in this book. I still haven't read the book that focuses on Emmett's daughter Miller so I'm excited to go back and read it soon.
I did a tandem read of this one (switched between audio and ebook). The audio was awesome with duet narration!! I would have happily listened to all of it, but eyeball read a lot of it during a power outage and to make sure I could finish it before book club.
Stars: 4
Related Titles:
Comments
Post a Comment