In Your Dreams (When In Rome #4) by Sarah Adams

Summary (from the publisher): Madison Walker left Rome, Kentucky, determined to make it in the culinary world. But after years of chasing success in New York, all she has to show for it is her shattered confidence and a desperate need for a fresh start. Coming home isn’t part of the plan—until an unexpected job offer lands in her lap: the head chef position at a new farm-to-table restaurant in her hometown. The only catch? It comes from James Huxley, owner of Huxley Farm, her brother’s best friend.

James has always played it safe, keeping his head down and running the family business. But when Madison’s happiness is on the line, he’s willing to take up his estranged brother’s offer to launch a restaurant. James has loved her quietly for years, knowing she’s never seen him as more than an annoyance, but now that she’s back, he’s determined to change that.

Madison and James are tasked with launching the dreamy restaurant in record time, but keeping things strictly professional soon becomes impossible, and the town can’t help but meddle in their relationship. As opening night looms closer, Madison’s fears threaten to hold her back.

When an unexpected disaster collides with a long-simmering sibling feud, both Madison and James will have to face their biggest insecurities—and decide if love is worth the risk or if some dreams are safer left untouched.

Review: The fourth and final book in the When in Rome series! This one follows the last Walker sibling, Madison, and her story. Unlike her siblings, Madison always wanted to leave her hometown of Rome, Kentucky and make it big in the culinary world in New York. But it hasn't been what she thought it would be and she's miserable but too proud to admit she misses home. When she happens to mention this to her brother's best friend, James, she's surprised when he offers her a job as head chef of the new restaurant he is opening up on his farm back home. Little does Madison know that James has always had feelings for her and is happy to have a chance to make her happy. 

I love stories where he falls first so this story really spoke to me ha. I also have spent so much time getting to know the Walker siblings, so I was excited to finally get Madison's story, especially as it has been teased in scenes in previous books. I also really appreciated that Madison has to swallow her pride a bit and come home, which I think was an important lesson in sometimes what you dream of isn't necessarily what makes you happy and also that plans change and that's ok. Madison really has low confidence professionally at the start of this book, and I enjoyed seeing her grow over the novel.

I did think James' brother Tommy's involvement in their love story was a bit silly. Tommy doesn't believe Madison should be over the restaurant, which honestly was fair given her limited experience. But he manipulated their relationship in a particular way that I won't share because it was a spoiler but that I just thought was a stretch and unnecessary to the plot. I will say that James has apparently been into Madison for years but never once tried to let her know. They have a very sparring/combative relationship after a lifetime of growing up and him being her brother's best friend, but I kept wondering why he never just tried to shift this dynamic and get closer to her years before. 

I listened to all four books in this series on audio and enjoyed them all! I was sad for my time in Rome, Kentucky to come to an end but happy I get to see the stories of all four siblings. Looking forward to the TV adaptation whenever it comes out!

Stars: 4

Related Titles: 

                                                                                                                                                

Comments

Popular Posts