Let's Kiss and Tell by Joss Richard

 

Summary (from the publisher): Fall for the brand-new sexy, sweet and heart aching romance from the bestselling author of It's Different This Time!

📝 Workplace romance
📝 Fake dating
📝 90's romcom nostalgia
📝 Spice

------------------------------

Lucy Reid's about to fake it.


As a sex columnist, her views on relationships aren't exactly optimistic.

Instead, she encourages readers to embrace their sexuality and that you don't need a partner to be happy. But when her team claims that all their readers are in relationships, and that it might be time for something - or someone - new, she's got to act fast.

Enter Marshall Oakley.

Marshall is the new Senior News Writer at Lucy's company, and he's just confessed to needing a girlfriend for his ex's wedding. Faking a relationship is perfect. Marshall can finally prove he's moved on, and Lucy can write about finding 'the one' only to break up and prove to readers - and her bosses - that relationships don't solve everything.

But spending lots of time together and faking affection has lines blurring... And now the two of them must find the courage to rewrite their story with a happily ever after.

Review: Thank you to NetGalley and Dell Romance for an eARC of this novel out on August 11th!

Joss Richard's debut, It's Different This Time, was one of my top reads last year so this was one of my most anticipated reads this year. I was thrilled to get an advance copy but also a little nervous that it wouldn't live up to my expectations. While I still think her first novel is my favorite of the two, I enjoyed this one a lot!

I love fake dating and this book delivered. Lucy Reid is a sex columnist who has pressure on her at work to work in relationship advice into her column. When she meets Marshall Oakley, the new senior news writer at her company who is in need of a girlfriend to his ex's wedding, Lucy thinks this is the perfect opportunity for a mutually beneficial arrangement. But as they spend time together, the relationship feels increasingly less fake, no matter what Lucy tries to tell herself. 

I think what I liked about this fake dating scenario is that both characters clearly were attracted to and enjoyed talking to the other from the beginning. Lucy is a bit emotionally stunted and we learn as the novel goes on that while she is very sex positive and open, she is less comfortable being emotionally vulnerable and this weakness is challenged by her feelings for Miles. 

I really loved Marsh! He was handsome and accomplished and I particularly loved that he admired Lucy's intellect and accomplishments without being intimidated by them. The pair had great chemistry and the spice was spicing...in a good way and without overwhelming the plot. 

The book blurb is NOT LYING about the 90s rom com nostalgia! Yes, the characters do go clothes' shopping, which reminds them of Pretty Woman and then they go to watch it together. Yes, there is a Ferris Wheel scene that was giving The Notebook to me. And yes, they have a kiss that screams This Kiss by Faith Hill. Yes, there is a Say Anything reference. But honestly it was more than that! Something about their interactions and the scenes just screamed classic rom com without exactly trying to retell any one specific one. Just grand gestures and romantic moments and true connections.

Lucy is very open about her sexuality and talks about sex very casually. She is a writer that has a column about sex, so if you're easily offended by casual sexual discussions, this is probably not the one for you. In fact, in the very first scene on the very first page, Lucy is researching different vibrator brands for one of her columns. That said, while this is absolutely open door, I didn't think it took over the book. I thought it was a great balance of showing their connection and mostly leaning into them dating and getting to know one another. 

Some other thoughts: 

- I was a little bummed by both main characters' interactions with others. While I know they didn't have an exclusive relationship and there is never any cheating AND those interactions confirm they are into each other, I was still like NOOOOO the whole time, that's not who you should be with!

- I really disliked Marsh's ex Julia (that is the point to be clear; we're not meant to think shes' great ha). I know Marsh wasn't perfect, but your girl had some gall. I would never have bothered showing up for that wedding. 

- I was so worried about how this would work out in the end since they are coworkers. (And so worried people would seem them since they were always out and about together on dates.) But I was actually happy with how it was resolved since I think it showed a lot of the character development on Lucy's part. I think the direction her career was going in was a positive one. 

- I liked seeing Lucy with her mom and dad and the work she did in those relationships. This added a lot of depth to her character. That scene where her parents just randomly show up at her apartment was SENDING me, but Marsh handled it like a perfect gentleman. 

- I loved Jonah! Jonah is Lucy's gay best work friend. He is so supportive and gave great advice. 

- I would have loved more back story/depth on Marsh's family. His mom doesn't come across the best in this book, but I wanted more insight. 

- I loved that the epilogue jumps ahead 3 years in time. Loved the glimpse of their future!

- Love that Lucy is half Filipino and now I want to try longanisa, the Filipino sausage her mom fixes her.

Favorite quotes: 

"This is a real fucking kiss. It feels like a centrifugal motion. This is what Faith Hill was talking about."

"Her hair is messy and blowing in the wind, and she looks like something I don't deserve to be looking at."

"Because he doesn't want someone who's perfect, he just wants me. He makes me feel like I am perfect."

"I'm not standing outside of your door with a boom box over my head playing your favorite song...I don't even know your favorite song. I'm just here because I miss you."

"It's not because he was good - which he was - but I guess it was how I felt when I was with him. I've never felt that before."

"Nothing else in the world matters except you and that person. Jokes feel funnier, food tastes better, the world doesn't feel like it's burning. You picture your life with that person and suddenly, you're living on a different frequency."

Stars: 4.5

Related Title: 

It's Different This Time by Joss Richard

Comments

Popular Posts