That's a Great Question, I'd Love to Tell You by Elyse Myers

 

Summary (from the publisher): Comedian and content creator Elyse Myers shares her humorous and candid tales of life's awkward moments in her debut book. Known as 'The Internet's Best Friend' to her 12 million followers, she advocates for topics like neurodivergence and body image. Through funny stories and relatable monologues, she aims to make readers feel known, loved, and like they belong.

Read by the author.

Review: I am a big fan of Elyse Myers and have followed her on Instagram for many years. I love her humor, her authenticity and the way she is open about her mental health struggles and her love for her husband. I was really excited to read her memoir, and I did love that she reads this herself because it added another level of personal detail and intimacy to her stories. 

However, overall, I was disappointed in this. Rather than a complete memoir, this is a largely just a series of vignettes and I couldn't really figure out the rhyme or reason for why different memories and stories are shared and so much other stuff isn't. I did wonder if in part it was because she didn't want to share a lot of details and stories about her family to protect their privacy. But it left the book without a central narrative. If you're hoping to get her life story in this, you will be disappointed. I also thought it was odd that the chapters flip back and forth between first and third person. It just felt chaotic. 

The only reason I'm still giving this three stars instead of four is I did LOVE the last couple chapters where she details how she fell in love with her now husband Silas. I loved learning more about this part of her life, since I've always appreciated how much love she and her husband demonstrate on social media and it did not disappoint. They have a very unconventional love story in many ways since they fell in love long distance and didn't date in a traditional sense but it felt very them. I almost DNFd this but glad I stuck it out for the last couple chapters. 

Stars: 3

Comments

Popular Posts